IRML Team Members
Iván M. Jorrín Abellán
Dr. Iván M. Jorrín Abellán is professor of educational research at Kennesaw State University (Ga) (USA).He worked for twelve years (2002-2014) for the Intelligent & Cooperative Systems/Education, Media, Informatics & Culture (GSIC/EMIC) Research Group at the University of Valladolid (Spain), where he obtained his PhD in Educational Technology. Within this transdisciplinary team formed by engineers, computer scientists and educators, he contributed to the development of a series of innovative technologies to support teachers in the complete life-cycle of collaborative learning environments. In 2009, after a Fulbright research stay at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, he founded and later directed, the Transdisciplinary Center for Research in Education (CETIE-UVa), also at the University of Valladolid.In 2014 he started working at Kennesaw State University (Ga) where he has developed the Hopscotch Model (a theoretical model and a web tool to support the generation of research designs, especially in Education), and more recently, the Interactive Research Methods Lab. You can have a look at his CV in this link.
Dr. Olga Koz is an experienced Graduate Education Librarian at Kennesaw State University. She provides instruction, training, and research support for faculty and graduate students on topics including research synthesis, systematic and traditional literature review, literature searching and evaluation, research data, and citation management. She was assisting Dr. Ivan Jorrin Abellan in the selection of appropriate resources and creating tutorials that inform users of the HopScotch web tool. Olga holds a Doctor of Management (DM) with a concentration in Emerging Media Management f and a Master’s of Library and Information Sciences (MLIS). She also earned the postgraduate diploma in Psychology from the Tver State University. You can find more information about Dr. Koz at the Faculty Website. You are welcome to schedule a consulting session with her using this app: LibCal
Rachel GainesDr. Rachel Gaines is Assistant Professor of Educational Psychology at Kennesaw State University. She studies teacher stress, emotions, and perceptions of school climate. She is also interested in how pre-service teachers develop teacher identities in online learning environments. You can find more information at Dr. Gaines' Faculty Website.
Mei-Lin ChangDr. Chang is Associate Professor of Applied Quantitative Research and Educational Analysis; Program Coordinator of Ed.D. in Secondary or Middle Grades Education. She teaches applied quantitative research courses for the Ed.S. and Ed.D. programs in the the Bagwell College of Education. Her research focuses on the sociocultural and emotional factors in shaping teacher motivation and student engagement. You can find more information at Dr. Chang's Faculty Website.
Jihye KimDr. Jihye Kim is an Assistant Professor of Educational Research at the Department of Secondary and Middle Grades Education at the Bagwell College of Education. Her expertise is research, measurement, and statistics. Dr. Kim teaches quantitative research methods courses for the Ed.S. and Ed.D. programs across the Bagwell College of Education since 2015. Her current research interest lies in evaluating survey instruments’ validity and reliability in order to provide an accurate identification of emotional and behavioral risk in middle and high school students. You can find more information at Dr. Kim’s Faculty Website.
Anete VasquezDr. Vasquez is Associate Professor of Curriculum & Instruction. She teaches courses in English/language arts and general education in the Department of Secondary & Middle Grades Education. Her research interests include all aspects of the clinical preparation of teachers, particularly in the area of preparing teacher candidates to work with diverse learners. You can find more information at Dr. Vasquez's Faculty Website.
Connie LaneMrs. Lane is the Grants & Special Projects Manager at the Bagwell College of Education. She assists faculty in obtaining grants to further their research, and leads media-driven special projects
Lateefah Id-deenDr. Lateefah Id-Deen is an Assistant Professor of Mathematics Education in the Department of Elementary & Early Childhood Education at the Kennesaw State University. She earned her doctorate in Curriculum, Instruction, and Teacher Education at Michigan State University, with foci in Mathematics Education and Urban Education. Her research examines marginalized students’ perspectives on their experiences in mathematics classrooms, and ways to support educators in hearing and developing practice in relation to students’ expressed interests. Further, she investigates instructional practices that promote student-teacher relationships, affirm mathematics identities and cultivate belongingness to support students’ learning experiences in mathematics classrooms. Her research and teaching reflect her passion for creating equitable learning environments for historically marginalized students in mathematics classrooms.
Megan AdamsDr. Megan Adams is an Associate Professor of Reading Education and Co-Director of the Academy for Language and Literacy at Kennesaw State University. Her research interests focus on qualitative inquiries into issues impacting marginalized communities, students, and teachers.
April MunsonApril Munson is Professor of Art Education for the College of the Arts at Kennesaw State University. She holds a PhD from the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, as well as an MA and BA from the University of Kentucky. Her areas of expertise include assessment, evaluation, distance learning, and qualitative research methodology. Her work has been published in journals such as Qualitative Research in Education, Comunicar, International Journal of Information and Education Technology and the International Journal for Education in the Arts. Her research has been part of conference proceedings for the National Art Education Association, International Congress for Qualitative Inquiry, the American Evaluation Association, and the International Conference on Distance Learning and Education.You can find more information at Dr. April Munson'sfaculty website.
Sanjuana Carrillo RodriguezDr. Sanjuana Carrillo Rodriguez is an Associate Professor of Reading and Literacy Education and Co-Director of the Academy for Language and Literacy at Kennesaw State University. Her research interests include early literacy development of culturally and linguistically diverse students, Latinx children's literature, and the experiences of Latinx teachers and pre-service teachers.
Paula GuerraDr. Paula Guerra is a Professor of Mathematics Education. She teaches math methods courses, and equity of education courses in the Elementary and Early Childhood Education Department. Her researcher interests include the experiences of Latinos (specially Latinas) learning mathematics, teaching and learning mathematics for social justice, and the experiences of Latinos completing their teaching preparation program.
Casiana Mba Maye (GRA Fall 2020)Casiana Maye is the IRML's GRA. She is from Equatorial Guinea, and graduated from high school at IES Cardenal Cisneros in Alcala de Henares, Spain. Then, she graduated from Kennesaw State University with a bachelor's degree in business administration in Finance. She is currently pursuing a master's degree in Information Technology with a concentration in Data Analytics at KSU as well.
Rachel Barlev (GRA Spring 2021)
Rachel Barlev graduated from Kennesaw State University with her Bachelor of Science in Psychology. She is currently perusing her Master of Social Work degree at Kennesaw State University. She is passionate about helping vulnerable individuals through trauma related therapy.
Chandana Saribala (GRA Fall 2021 & Spring 2022)
Chandana Saribala is Graduate Research Assistant at the Interactive Research methods Lab, Kennesaw State University. She holds a post-graduate in Data Science & Engineering (Great Lakes Institute of Management Bangalore), and a bachelor's degree in Computer Science & Engineering (Madanapalle Institute of Technology & Sciences). She is currently pursuing a Master’s in Computer Science at KSU. She is a team-oriented problem solver expert in Python and Java programming, as well as in statistical modelling. More information about her work can be found in the following links:
Books & Book chapters
- Jorrín-Abellán, I. M., Gaines, R., Vasquez, A., Chang, M., Koz, O.,Kim, J. (2021). Developing the Interactive Research methods Lab 4-Teachers. In García-Valcárcel Muñoz Repiso, A. & Casillas Martín, S. (Eds.), Nuevos Horizontes para la Digitalización Sostenible en Educación (pp. 265-276). Dykinson. (View)
- Jorrín-Abellán, I. M., Fontana Abad, M., & Rubia Avi, B. (2021). Investigar en educación. Síntesis. (View)
- Castejón, J. L., Núñez, J. C., Gilar-Corbi, R., Jorrín-Abellán, I. M., eds. (2021). New Challenges in the Research of Academic Achievement: Measures, Methods, and Results. Lausanne: Frontiers Media SA. doi: 10.3389/978-2-88966-507-5 (View)(Check impact)
- Id-Deen, L., Ebanks, R., & Cirillo, M. (2022). From Green Book to Gradebook, Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching PK-12, 115(5), 330-338. Retrieved May 6, 2022, from https://pubs.nctm.org/view/journals/mtlt/115/5/article-p330.xml
- Chang, M.-L., Gaines, R. E., & Mosley, K. C. (2022). Effects of autonomy support and emotion regulation on teacher burnout in the era of the COVID-19 pandemic. Frontiers in Psychology, Educational Psychology, online first. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2022.846290/full
- Jorrín Abellán, I. M., Vasquez, A., & Gaines, R. E. (2020). Co-designing Research Methods Lesson Plans in the Interactive Research Methods Lab. Edutec. Revista Electrónica De Tecnología Educativa, (74), 51-71. https://doi.org/10.21556/edutec.2020.74.1797
- Chang, M., Jorrín-Abellán, I. M., Wright, J., Kim, J., Gaines, R.E. (2020) "Do Advanced Degrees Matter? A Multiphase Mixed-Methods Study to Examine Teachers’ Obtainment of Advanced Degrees and the Impact on Student and School Growth," Georgia Educational Researcher, 17 (1), Article 5. Available at: https://digitalcommons.georgiasouthern.edu/gerjournal/vol17/iss1/5
- Jorrín-Abellán, I.M. (2019). Rayuela 2.0: Una herramienta para promocionar la labor innovadora de maestros y maestras mediante la generación de diseños de investigación rigurosos. Revista Latinoamericana de Tecnología Educativa, 18 (1), 23-39. (view)
- Jorrín-Abellán, I. M. (2019) "Hopscotch 2.0: an enhanced version of the Model for the Generation of Research Designs in Social Sciences and Education," Georgia Educational Researcher, 16 (1). (view)
- Jorrín-Abellán, I. M. (2016) "Hopscotch Building: A Model for the Generation of Qualitative Research Designs," Georgia Educational Researcher: Vol. 13: Iss. 1, Article 4. DOI: 10.20429/ger.2016.130104. (view)
- Jorrín-Abellán, I. M., Steiner, H. H., Koz, O. (2022, June 15-17) Hopscotch 4-SoTL: An open Access Framework and Webtool for generating Well-Informed Research Designs. XXIX Jornadas Universitarias de Tecnología Educativa. Valencia, Spain, June.
- Vasquez, A., Jorrín-Abellán, I. M., Chang, M., Koz, O.(2022, May 19-20). Hopscotch and the Interactive Research Methods Lab. Georgia Council of Graduate Schools Spring Conference 2022. Atlanta (GA), USA, May.
- Camilli Trillo, C., Asensio Muñoz, I., Fontana Abad, M., Navarro Asencio, E., Mateos Gordo, P., Jorrín-Abellán, I.M. (2022, June 14-17). Necesidades, fortalezas y dificultades en la elaboración de revisiones sistemáticas en estudiantes universitarios de Educación. XX Congreso International de Investigación Educativa. Santiago de Compostela , Spain, June.
- Jorrín-Abellán, I. M., Gaines, R., Vasquez, A., Chang, M., Koz, O.,Kim, J. (2021, June 24-25) Interactive Research Methods Lab 4-Teachers: A Professional Development Tool to help Teachers’ use of research-based practices and data-driven decision making. XXVIII Jornadas Universitarias de Tecnología Educativa. Salamanca, Spain, June.
- Jorrín-Abellán, I. M. (2020, Apr 17-21) Two Open Science Initiatives to Help Novice Teacher-Researchers Develop Research Designs [Symposium]. AERA Annual Meeting San Francisco, CA. (view)
- Jorrín-Abellán, I. M.; Gaines, R., Koz, O., Chang, M., Kim, J.,Lane, C. (2019) "The Interactive Research Methods Lab: a Hands-on Innovative Space for the Teaching and Learning of Research Methods in Education" (2019). Georgia Educational Research Association Conference. (view)
- Jorrín-Abellán, I.M.,Koz, O., Gaines,R., Chang, M., Vasquez, A., (2019) Interactive Research Methods Lab: una iniciativa transformadora para fomentar la innovación reflexiva en las aulas (Interactive Research Methods Lab: a transformative initiative to promote reflective innovation in the classroom). XXVII Jornadas Universitarias de Tecnología Educativa (JUTE). Santander, Spain, June. (178-184) (view)
- Chang, M., Jorrín-Abellán, I.M., Kim, J., Wright, J. (2018). "Does Advanced Degree Matter? A Multiphase Mixed Methods Study to Examine Teacher Obtainment of Advanced Degree and Its Impact on Student Growth and Schools." The Georgia Educational Research Association (GERA) Meeting. Macon (GA), USA, October 2018. (view)
- Jorrín-Abellán, I.M. (2015). “Hopscotch Building: a Model for the Generation of Qualitative Research Designs” The Georgia Educational Research Association (GERA) Meeting. Savannah (GA), USA, October 2015.
Keynotes, Workshops & Plenary Sessions
- Jorrín-Abellán, I.M. (2020) "Desterrando modas-Aprendiendo a investigar: Dos herramientas tecnológicas para el fomento de la cultura investigadora en los maestros/as" (Banishing fashions-Learning to investigate: Two tools for the promotion of teacher's research culture.) I International Congress of Educational Psychology, Coruña (Spain), December. (check presentation)
- Jorrín-Abellán, I.M. (2017) "Building Hopscotch: A Model and a Webtool to develop qualitative research designs" (Construyendo Rayuela: Un modelo y herramienta web para el diseño de investigaciones cualitativas.) International Congress of Psychology, Health and Education, Oviedo (Spain), November.
- Jorrín-Abellán, I.M. (2016) “Where Research Ideas and Inspiration Come from: Lessons Learned Through my Personal Journey in Academia.” Dean´s Speaker Series. Kennesaw State University, November.
- December 15, 2021-Universidad de Cádiz (Spain): Presentation of the book "Investigar en Educación."
- December 1 & 14, 2021-Cátedra Fundación Mapfre. Universidad de La Laguna (Spain): Rayuela y el "magic lab": Dos herramientas para la generación de diseños de investigación en Educación (check website)
- December 3, 2021-Universidad de Málaga (Spain): Rayuela: Un modelo y Herramienta web para la generación de diseños de investigación cualitativos (Hopscotch: A Model and Webtool for the generation of Qualitative Research designs) (check website)
- October 19, 2021- Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain): Estudio de Caso en Investigación Cualitativa (Case Studies in Qualitative Research) (check website)
- June 2021 - Visit to Universidad de la Coruña (Spain) (GIPED Research Team): On June 14th, 15th, and 16 we had the pleasure of delivering the workshops: Introduction to Qualitative Research, and Data Analysis in Qualitative Research.
- June 2019 - Visit to Universidad de la Coruña (Spain): During the first week of June we had the pleasure of delivering the workshop "Qualitative Research in Psychology and Education" (La Investigación Cualitativa en Psicología y Educación) at Universidad de la Coruña in Spain. We were invited by the doctoral program "Psychological Development, Learning and Health" (Desenvolvemento Psicolóxico, Aprendizaje e Saúde) and the GIPED Research Group.
- November 2018 - Visit to Universidad del Rosario (Colombia): We had the chance of visiting Universidad del Rosario (Colombia), where we delivered the following sessions and workshops:
- Jorrín-Abellán, I.M. (2018) Pasos y Componentes en la Construcción del Marco Conceptual de una Investigación. Universidad del Rosario (Colombia) (11/13/2018)
- Jorrín-Abellán, I.M. (2018) Donde Residen la Inspiración y las Buenas Ideas de Investigación: Lecciones aprendidas en mi viaje personal en la academia. Invited presentation at Universidad del Rosario (Colombia). (11/14/2018)
- Jorrín-Abellán, I.M. (2018) Proceso de creación de cursos online en Kennesaw State University. Invited presentation at Universidad del Rosario (Colombia). 11/22/2018
- Jorrín-Abellán, I.M. (2018) Rayuela: Un modelo y herramienta web para la generación de diseños de investigación. Universidad Konrad Lorenz (Colombia). Invited workshop at Universidad Konrad Lorenz. 11/20/2018
The Interactive Research Methods Lab in the News
January 28, 2022: Hopscotch 4-SoTL featured in Teaching and Learning Inquiry
Sept 18, 2020: Research with Relevance-Friday Features Show-Playing Hopscotch To Generate Research Designs
Sept 16, 2020: KSU professor teaches students effective research methods
Nov 14, 2019: The Methods of Research